Tel'Ranaemyn: The Wandering Hills Inn
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This space is held for (the short version) announcements and any news worthy notations.

If you see missing pictures or links, bare with me! Slight changes in the works.

Here are a few links to help you get started and get a general feel for the players.

-Guest Poster? READ this!
Latest topics
» Finding his way back.
by Sky Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:17 am

» "Hello! Do you have a minute to talk about ...?" ((Open to everyone))
by Archer Caughey Thu Sep 27, 2018 11:14 pm

» O.o This ought to shake up some moods o.O. {OPEN TO ALL}
by Kahn Jordianthan Sat Feb 17, 2018 4:47 am

» What The Heck Happened That Night!
by Arcadia Caughey Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:13 am

» Ghosts of the Past
by Liberty Jean Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:02 pm

» Night One: Introducing Himself [Open to Others]
by De'Ryanna Aybara Sun Dec 03, 2017 1:35 am

A knock at the Pointy-Ears Door. (Log and continuation)

2 posters

Go down

A knock at the Pointy-Ears Door. (Log and continuation) Empty A knock at the Pointy-Ears Door. (Log and continuation)

Post by Rodry Pol Sat Nov 24, 2012 7:07 am

Rodry had been meaning to visit the elves. He had been meaning to ever since he had spoken with the stand in cook who was watching over the kitchen with Armandeus out of commission! With that memory in mind, Rodry had himself moving slowly down the hall, headed for their door. One hand was holding onto his cane, as was his norm, the other was holding the handle of a small iron box. A small iron box that Armandeus had seen before, but Elessar had not. The old fellow was dressed in his normal attire, slacks and a long sleeve dress shirt, even if it was made of silk and in a garish shade of royal purple. The teal tie he wore stood out well against the fabric, while the ash gray suit jacket helped make him seem a little more tame. The cane was tossed up and caught just below the head, that large sapphire topper thumped heavily against their door. Rodry was feeling much approved, both in mind and body. A surprising fact, considering that the last time he had seen Elessar he had been rather ill. In fact, it had been more than six months since he had last seen either of the elves!(D)

-What in the bloody blue blazes was that thumping at the door? Elessar looked from where he'd been writing in his old, worn journal to simply stare at the door rather than make any move towards it. Aside from those first few days following the surgery the elves hadn't had many visitors to their door beyond Cocina, Ar's young apprentice, so this sudden thumping was quite unexpected! Frowning, the elf turned in his seat to look around at the bed behind him where Armandeus slept on obviously. Ever since the surgery the other male had drifted in and out of wakefulness although he remained sleeping far more than waking. Still, it would be nice to have someone to talk too and that decided it. Snapping the journal closed he stood, and headed towards the door. "Who is there?"-

Leave it to Rodry to come thumping in the middle of the night. At his age, sleep came and went here and there, he didn't really have a set schedule! Rodry leaned faintly upon his cane, needing it far less at this time than he had before, something that was apparent in the way that he walked and handled himself. Far more comfortable and confident. Luckily, it seemed that he hadn't disturbed Ar, otherwise he might have been in for more than a 'who's there'. An apt question, one that had the old man thinking, considering the answer he would give before settling on an easy one. "A friend, so unless you want me thumping and stumping around here all night, it would be wise to open up!" Unfortunately, Rodry had been ... absent at the time of Ar's accident. He hadn't heard about it until he had gone to get a little something from the kitchen to find Ar was missing and that some girl had replaced him. A protege, but not Ar. Rodry still felt bad for the scare that he had given the other elf and knowing that he was unwell and by extension, Elessar, he had come to see if he could perhaps help. Though he offered no magic, no newfangled medicine. Simply that contents of that Iron Case!(D)

If it had been perhaps anyone else they would have gotten a far different reply in the not so subtle form of "Go away!" for coming thumping and bumping in the middle of the night but Rodry's voice was so unexpected to hear that Elessar found himself opening the door instead of giving in to annoyance. "Rodry Pol. What a surprise this is!" What a surprise it was- unlike the last time they had met Elessar looked tired and worn, and far paler than his fair complex should have been. Whatever he'd been doing during the time he was holed up alone with Armandeus it was clearly taking a toll on him. "How did you come to be at my door?" It was a fair question considering the state of the man the last the elf had laid eyes on him! Speaking of, now that the door was open Elessar was certainly eyeing the old man over!-

Oh if Elessar had hollered for Rodry to go away, the old man would have just had to have found some other way to gain access. It was for their own good, truly! Rodry had been missing, MIA for months, not a soul but one had known where he had ended up and she wasn't the type to spread the word around. "Elessar, it is good to see you. Though I must say ... your looking a bit worse for the wear." His head cocked ever so faintly. Sapphire eyes sweeping the elf carefully, just as Elessar was doing to him, even if it was for entirely different reasons. "Well, in all honesty, I meant to come and visit sooner. I had a Young Lady mention to me that something happened while I was ... gone. That the two of you were not well." Said with a certain trepidation. Though, it seemed that Rodry was set on his intentions. Since the tall old man was placing his cane rather pointedly at Elessar's side, stepping past him into their chamber. Nostrils flaring ever so faintly, while his tongue moistened his lips. "I brought some of my tea. I thought it would make the two of you feel better." It always helped him a good deal. Of course, the secret ingredient was responsible ... a secret ingredient that Armandeus had spotted him 'acquiring' in the shady part of the market one day. "How are you feeling?" Asked in a carefully neutral tone.(D)

Elessar would have liked to seen Rodry try to gain entry by other means for one of the first things Elessar had seen to after he was able to be mobile was to put the protective wards up around the room to keep 'unwanted' guests out. "You are looking much improved from the last we met." As to his own appearance, well he was ignoring from commenting at the moment! "You spoke with Cocina." The elf nodded, not wholly surprised. Very few people knew the full truth of what had happened that night and the young elf apprentice had been one of those few told. "I had not expected to see you return." Spoken with the same amount of trepidation even as he was moving aside so Rodry wouldn't have to push past him to come into the room! "Armandeus is sleeping." Stating the obvious since there was hardly anyway to miss the other elf upon the bed considering the shared room was smaller than most! "I am 'fine'." Sure he was, if 'fine' meant the faint trembling he was doing just standing there!-

"I am feeling much improved. Six months of relaxation and sleep will do that to a man." Coming a tad closer to the truth than he had with most who had inquired about his disappearance. Though the old human male couldn't help but notice that pointed evasion. Giving a faint nod in response. He hadn't caught the girls name, unfortunately, but from Elessar's tone he must have picked up on who he meant. While she had been vague, he hadn't pressed. Had figured to just speak with them face to face about it. Even if it seemed that Armandeus was still asleep at the moment. Something that left Rodry giving a quiet grunt. "Aye, a few felt that way I believe. I haven't checked out yet. Trust me, I am sure you would know if I had." Rodry wasn't exactly going to go quietly into that particular goodnight! Once inside, Rodry was headed for the nearest table, to set down that heavy case. Glancing about. The layout of their room was different from his own. While some men might have let the answer slide, Rodry knew better. He had been with his fair share of women and then some and he was a father of a headstrong daughter. He knew that 'fine' meant that the shit was about to hit the fan. "Of course you are Lad. Come, sit down. You already make me feel bad for bothering you to get up to let me in." Besides, Rodry owed him. Elessar had been kind enough to bring him breakfast, least he could do was make him some tea and let him relax. Rodry directed Elessar to the couch at the table where he had set that iron box, bustling off to see if he could find a kettle and some way to heat up some water.(D)

Six months of relaxation and sleep sounded insanely wonderful to Elessar although he didn't care to voice that opinion as he carefully shut the door and turned to watch Rodry with that case. "It has been a long few months. I was not sure if someone had simply forgotten to mention your departure." While Elessar was almost fairly certain Epiphany would have told him if anything had happened to Rodry he hadn't yet seen the girl to tell her of what had happened to Armandeus! Compared to Rodry's room the Elves was quite small! It was actually only one large room filled with one normal bed and one tucked in bedside it on the floor between the wall. A side table, dresser with a TV set, and the desk and the chair made up the rest of the room along with a smattering of shelves filled with different elvish weapons aside from the adjoining bathroom. Despite it's size however, the room was very neat and clean apart from the rumbled bedclothes of the bed on the floor that had to be Elessar's. "I have never seen tea come from such a heavy case before." Elssar couldn't help but comment with eyebrows raised although he was compliant towards heading for one of the few chairs to sit down. "Tell me, is tea a natural healing tool in this realm?"-

Something told him that poor Elessar would likely find that the six months would lose it's appeal after about a week or two. Of course, Rodry couldn't really know for sure. From the look of the elf he looked like he hadn't slept well in a few weeks! "Oh no, I don't plan on moving out anytime soon. At my age an upheaval of that sort is something I would like to avoid at pretty much any cost." Shuddering at the thought. Perhaps now it wouldn't be such an issue, with him feeling as well as he had since waking back up, but that was besides the point. Rodry found that he genuinely enjoyed being around people once again after his long self imposed exile from the world at large. The room was cozy, though from what he knew Armandeus spent more time in the kitchens than in his room, though that was a thing of the past. At least at the moment. Seeing the elf, laying in bed like that sent shivers down the old mans spine. "The ingredients for my tea are ... delicate. Can be quite volatile if not handled properly." Now there was a word people usually didn't want to hear when being told they would be expected to consume something! "I hope I didn't wake you." Nodding towards the unmade bed while he bustled, searching for a kettle. Assuming he could find one he would get some water and place the kettle near the fire so that the water could heat properly. "Naturally, no. well I mean there are some that can help you feel a bit better at times, but my brew has been part of what kept me from wasting away to nothing over the past few years." With Rodry's appearance, it would likely make the tea sound like a wonderful cure all. "Honestly, I'm not quite sure how it will effect you are Armandeus. While Elves are magical beings, I am unsure of how it will effect you. It helps me a great deal though." Rodry was fiddling with that case now. His fingers lightly drumming upon the surface with his gloved left hand. "Let me prepare a bit and we will see how you feel." Flashing a wide smile, before taking the case over by the fire. Placing himself conspicuously between it and Elessar as he slowly popped the clasps and folded back the two part hinged lid.(D)

Considering everything Elessar had been through lately he really wouldn't mind sleeping for a long extended period of time! Elessar was glad to hear the man wouldn't be leaving any time soon even if it seemed they were talking about two different forms of moving! "Do you want me to try and wake him?" The look Rodry had given Armandeus had not gone unnoticed from where Elessar sat slumped down in the chair with his arms lightly crossed. While the sleeping elf was covered to his chin by the blankets he appeared to be at peace and looked to be fairing better than Elessar himself! If Rodry was attuned to such things he would be able to detect the faint tinge of magic coming from the room. "...Volatile?" Elessar perked up at the word, looking faintly concerned. "Just what form of tea is this? And you didn't wake me. I was writing when you came knocking." A kettle could be found on the desk along with a tray of assorted dirty dishes that had obviously sat there for a while. "I am not as magical as perhaps you think.." This was true for Elessar didn't have a drop of magical blood in him! "I ask for I have seen De'Ryanna bring tea to Armandeus when he has.. been ill.." Carefully avoiding the word 'vision' even as he was trying to see around Rodry's form to the case!-

"No no, let him rest. I will leave a bit of the brewed tea here so you can try to get him to sip at it when next he wakes." Indeed. While Rodry was not exactly fearful of death, he found the topic depressing and certainly didn't want to bring up such a discussion when they had someone who was unwell nearby. It wasn't the fact the was sleeping, it was that look upon his features. The last time he had seen such a look in one so still he had been glancing into a casket. Rodry had noticed the magic, it was something he had long ago learned to taste. It was familiar and assuring to him. Elessar's almost hesitant questioning tone had Rodry glancing his way, giving his best attempt at a smile of assurance. "Quite harmless, truly." Maybe volatile hadn't been the right word. It had come easily enough. "It's tea, what do you mean what form? I mean it's hot, as opposed to iced tea. Penning a novel?" Asked casually enough, a deflection, but still. He really was sort of curious. The old fellow had made sure the kettle was clean before filling it and placing it near the fire. Unlike most, Rodry brewed the tea over the fire, rather than placing ingredients in the cups and pouring the boiling water over them. It was very important in his particular tea that the ingredients stew for a while. "I am not sure of the elves from where you two hail from, but most I have met are like many of the other mythical races, your sprites and fae, demons, dragons." Giving a short list while waving his free hand. "Though that does make me wonder how the tea will work." Rodry didn't share his tea. As a rule of his own. These circumstances were special though! "Well, perhaps De'Ryanna uses a mystic recipe for her own. I meant for common ailments like sore throats and the like ... herbs and spices can have a profound effect on people. Your memory associates them with different things." Something Ar would likely understand. Like the smell of pumpkin spice bringing to mind the fall. Elessar could catch the glint of firelight off of metal inside the box, as well as glass, though unless his vision was a damn sight keener than a humans he might not see much else! Rodry was reaching down into the case, sliding aside some small inlaid platforms within to fetch the secret ingredient. His low voice rolling into a soft hum, an old marching tune he had once known.
As much because it made the work take on it's rhythm as the fact that he used it to drown out other noises. There was a higher pitch beneath the humming, as if Rodry's nose was whistling from the cold. He was kneeling in front of the case, idly pulling free a small knife that he used to scrape small symbols into this particular ingredient, which brought that high pitched tone coming more quickly. "Armandeus found my tea case curious too. Spotted me in the market getting it from the one I buy my ingredients from. A rough fellow, dwarf, but nice enough." As long as you didn't mind the Neidar. Rodry plucked the lid off of the kettle, bringing clenched hand up to it and stuffing the contents through the opening. A faint glint caught on an almost insectile looking wing though it might have been imagined. The lid went back on, while Rodry dug through the herbs in the case. Selecting a few. Marjoram, cinnamon, mint and clove. Strong flavors that would help make the tea palatable. "You like orange don't you? I believe you enjoyed one at breakfast that one day." It had been a grapefruit, but Rodry's memory wasn't quite as sharp as it had once been. A little orange zest soon joined the little pile he had placed in one hand. Giving the tea time to brew, while he slowly closed the case back up. Replacing the clasps and sliding it to one side. "So, Ar's replacement in the kitchen was a bit vague on details, said that he had come down ill." Which of course seemed to be begging for an explanation.(D)
Rodry Pol
Rodry Pol

Number of posts : 118

Back to top Go down

A knock at the Pointy-Ears Door. (Log and continuation) Empty Re: A knock at the Pointy-Ears Door. (Log and continuation)

Post by Elessar Sun Nov 25, 2012 1:03 am

It was a tad silly, and therefore kept to himself, but how Elessar wished Armandeus were awake at this moment! Don't get the wrong idea, Elessar had no problems with Rodry- how could he considering they had once had breakfast and a nice chat as well? Besides Elessar had let the man into his room which was something he wouldn't have done if they were not friends as the man had stated. Still, it was hard not to feel a touch of loneliness after days upon days of sharing thoughts, and in essence minds, only to be cut off while one slumbered. Although if Rodry did not wish to broach the topic of impending death Elessar certainly wasn't going to bring it up!

The creepily peaceful look of Armandeus' sleeping features were slightly disturbing in Elessar's opinion, although he found he couldn't be too bothered considering the alternative! As for the reassuring look Rodry was giving him, well needless to say, Elessar wasn't buying it! "You say it can be volatile and now it's quite harmless?" Hopefully Rodry wouldn't be too off put by the look of bewilderment coming from the elf! Truly it had to fall somewhere on the line between one or the other, right? "Not so much a novel as a continuation of my life's journey." Tired eyes flicked between watching Rodry to the sad-looking journal lying shut on the desktop before going back again. "I have fallen quite behind lately."

"There are far more mythical races here than my homeland." Wasn't that the truth? As far as Elessar knew the elves of his home realm were the most mythical of all the creatures! "I have never understood how such a multitude survives together in such a strange world as this one." Spoken like the outsider he was if one ignored he'd been living in Rhy'Din for going on seven years now!!

"As for De'Ryanna's tea I do not remember what it was called suffice to say it has been quite some time since he has had any." Elessar's gaze had traveled to land on Armandeus as his mind worked to fill in the calculations of just how long it'd been since he'd seen the girl. It had been quite a while now since he'd seen her about but Elessar knew it'd been even longer since she had given Armandeus any of that special tea. "It used to help. ." Here Elessar trailed off at a loss as he wondered just how much Rodry knew about Armandeus and the reverse considering Armandeus hadn't mentioned meeting the old man before!

Though he appeared occupied with other thoughts Elessar was still trying to see just what Rodry was doing! Aside from that glinting he couldn't see a darned thing from where he was sitting! The humming tickled at his delicate ears causing the pointed ears to twitch as he leaned forward and rested his arms against the tops of his legs. "Curious, Armandeus never mentioned that to me." Gauging Rodry's reaction as he spoke. "A Dwarf you say? They must be a rare sight for this realm! I have yet to see one. You say this tea will truly help?" Asked with a frown and a shake of his head at the imagined insect wing! "I had thoughts earlier this eve of what wonders a pot of coffee could conjure and oranges are fine."

Ah, so they'd finally reached the curious part at last! While unsurprising Elessar had been hoping to delay the conversation of just what had happened until Armandeus was awake at least! While the tale was hard to hear no matter who it came from Elessar felt it would be taken a bit better by Armandeus considering. . "It was an accident. . ."
Elessar
Elessar

Number of posts : 107

Back to top Go down

A knock at the Pointy-Ears Door. (Log and continuation) Empty Re: A knock at the Pointy-Ears Door. (Log and continuation)

Post by Rodry Pol Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:15 pm

Well, who knew how Armandeus would react if he woke up to find Rodry lurking in their room? After all, the last time Ar had seen the old man, they had been twenty feet up in that tree that Armandeus had sought out for the natural protection from an aged human. Needless to say, Rodry had sacrificed far more of his vital energy than he had wanted to in order to get to the elf. Then further compounded that mistake by using what little remained to disguise the contents of the very iron case that the old fellow was currently collecting ingredients from in order to prepare some of his special tea for the two of them.

Rodry could certainly agree on the disconcerting nature of Armandeus' face. While he was at peace, it was not the peace that came from those who were part of themselves. He couldn't help the image of that composed, peaceful face surrounded by the caskets grim confines, the image simply hung in his mind with the tenacity of a cornered badger.

Thankfully other things were there to distract him. The careful preparations of that tea that had for so long sustained him, Elessar's presence. That questioning and almost suspicious tone had one of those sapphire eyes seen when the old fellow turned his head. The long iron gray braid that hung three quarters of the way down his back sliding to dangle at his side. Short cut bangs partially obscuring his face.

"It is quite harmless, when handled properly. Anything can be dangerous if not dealt with in the right way. Don't you think?"

A faint nod given towards the bookshelves filled with old elven weaponry. The collection had surprised him more than a bit. When Elessar and he had spoken last, they had talked on the elves homeland. His tone had made it sound like an attempt to return would be met by violence. Elessars natural aversion had quite obviously left the old fellow thinking him and Armandeus were of a more pacifistic sort.

Yet it seemed that he had made either a grossly incorrect assumption, or the two truly only cared to collect such pieces rather than use them.

"Writing your memoirs then."

It was an intriguing idea. He himself had attempted to do such when the illness had first begun to manifest. The old man simply had found that his reflection on such joyous and vivid memories when he had felt as if the reapers chill touch was so teasingly close had only made him feel bitter and driven him to abandon that project. To simply do what he had always enjoyed doing in his better years, to forget and settle among his material possessions. Yet even they had quickly lost their appeal.

Memory had sucked Rodry's attention away. Leaving him only picking up the second portion of his commentary on mythic races.It had his lips parting faintly, a knowing grin. Rhy'Din had not always been a peaceful place, hell it still wasn't. Yet this was something that of course came with the territory.

"I think it is more a matter of all the others realizing that if they wish to live rather than merely survive, that some of their baser urges needed to be ... controlled. I still find myself surprised each time I walk through New Haven. Races that I had known to be enemies for decades walking side by side, working, making friends."

While he couldn't attest to the potency of his tea when it came to suppressing visions, who knew how it would effect the elves. It was part of why Rodry had never shared it with another, the effects could be quite variable. The longing look that Elessar laid upon Armandeus left him nodding faintly, turning to the tea while he glanced into the fire. Letting it's dance and it's warmth soothe his troubled thoughts.

"Hopefully mine will help as well."

Rodry hadn't really gotten to learn too much from Armandeus, other than the fact that the fellow was the inn's cook and apparently quite the jumpy sort. The culinary elf had been quite difficult to chase down when Rodry had spooked him in the market place. The old fellow listened carefully to the kettle, turning partway, letting his rump settle to the edge of the hearthstones while he looked to Elessar at the almost suspicious reaction.

"Perhaps it slipped his mind, this was some time ago, maybe a week before I went on my little ... retreat."

If one could call confusing an old friend for the Grim Reaper and being in such a state as to think that they were leading you to the next life, rather than someplace where it would be safe for him to recover and to renew his spirits.

"Well, a Neidar technically. Dark Dwarf. While he might not be the most trustworthy of people, he gets what ingredients I need in a steady supply and is punctual about it. They tend to stick to their underground cities. Very few care for the world at large."

The dwarf also didn't ask many questions, which was an even bigger plus. He did as he was paid for without comment or complaint.

The old fellow couldn't say for sure just how much the tea would help the elves. Their physiology was vastly different from his own, despite the fact that the elves didn't look all that different from Rodry on the outside. Rodry only gave a sage nod and lifted the lid of the kettle to add his little palmful of additional herbs and spices. Replacing the lid and now turning fully towards Elessar.

"I think that it should help. As I said, it always helped me greatly, I can only hope that the two of you will reap the same benefits."

He had meant to come to prepare tea simply for Armandeus, however after seeing Elessar he couldn't help but consider it would do him a great deal of good as well. As long as the elf could stomach it. Rodry leaned forward slowly, letting his legs cross into a comfortable position, drawing his cane across his lap and allowing fingers to stroke lovingly over the wood. While the replacement cook had been vague, Elessar seemed truly reluctant to tell him what exactly had happened. Though it only sounded more curious, when he asserted that it was an accident.

"An accident? He didn't try cooking one of Epiphany's recipes did he?"

He could rather clearly remember the disaster that he had found in the kitchen one day when Epiphany had been cooking ....

Rodry Pol
Rodry Pol

Back to top Go down

Post by Elessar Mon Dec 03, 2012 1:38 am

While only Armandeus could speak for Armandeus it was probably a safe assumption to say he wouldn't be overly thrilled upon waking to find Rodry in his room!

The man had a point, this much Elessar had to agree upon, for their were many things that could be dangerous when mishandled, although this was quite possibly the first time the elf had ever heard such be expanded to include tea! Though if this tea truly ended up working Elessar wouldn't give a dang what it was made out of! He was sick unto Eru of being sick and tired!

"Replicas, from our homeland." came as Elessar's response to Rodry's subtle nodding towards the elves' weaponry collection. Indeed the pieces were old, or rather made to look that way, and were of a vast assortment of arrows, knives, swords, and even Elessar's infamous battle-axe. "Those," a point was given towards the door where two bows hung upon hooks; one made of a silver wood that shined eerily in the light while the other had been made of wood that looked to be near black. "are genuine. A man name Fields was able to procure them during our escape." As to whether or not the weapons were useable, well that would be left to the imagination. Certainly they appeared to be sharp enough, even if some of them did look quite aged.

Pacifism was something that had came with age to Elessar. While he had been trained in his youth to be a solider that song had long been lost to his faer. Now and then when he chose to dwell upon it he supposed it was in part due to the horrors known to his adult mind- watching friends and family alike die at the hands of cruel torture by another, the utter hate and contempt for all of elf-kind, and finally the ravaging of his homeland as a result. The rest could be contributed to his years in Rhy'Din, just as he'd spoken to Rodry- a place with many multitudes of mythical and non-mythical creatures alike living in a somewhat harmony.

"Memoirs? Quite the odd name for the sum of one's life journey." Elessar was settling into his chair, slumping down and crossing his arms. "It is my hope that someday my son will get the chance to read it and perhaps forgive me for not being there as he grows. . " The elf's voice strained sentimental, something he blamed on the fuzzy buzz of exhaustion residing on his mind.

At the mention of Epiphany's infamous drinks Elessar chuckled, the twitch of a smile appearing on his lips. "I wish it was something like that. He learned many years and several drinks of hers ago to steer clear of any recipes." As for the true so-called accident Elessar went silent as he seemed to mull over just what he was going to say.

Hopefully Rodry wouldn't think the elf had fallen asleep on him for it was quite some time before Elessar finally spoke again! The dark ageless eyes moved away from where they'd been staring at the ceiling to focus upon the old man, gauging his reaction. "I believe it was an accident even if he does not say thus. He stabbed himself in the chest with his long knife while he slept."
Elessar
Elessar

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodry Pol Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:30 pm

Well, it wasn't so much that the ingredient was dangerous in itself, it was simply troublesome. Someone who was not as ... practiced ... as Rodry was might certainly find themselves making a mistake and turning their tea into something truly foul rather than a restorative. Luckily, the old man could practically brew the stuff in his sleep, a helpful trick. Considering he had been so ill before as to make thinking in itself almost painful.

Rodry's keen eyes had studied the weapons, while he had only forged one weapon that had ever seen use by him, he could still admire the craft that went into creating the replicas. The thought had his hand tightening faintly upon the cane which was balanced across his lap while he admired the pieces. As if to assure his precious walking stick that he wasn't about to replace it.

"You two have quite a collection. Just enjoy the collecting or do the two of you know how to use these things as well?"

Now if Rodry had known that Elessar had a battleaxe, an infamous one at that, he would have been damned surprised! Many elves he knew, or had known, shunned axes. Of course he had to keep reminding himself that Elessar was not a 'terrestrial' elf. Those intense sapphire eyes studied the bows as well, though with much less interest. Not because they weren't beautiful pieces, while Rodry could use a bow, shooting simply wasn't his forte. When he had been trained in using bows he had never taken to it as easily as others.

"They are fine pieces. Though I hardly consider myself a connoisseur of bow-craft, fletching isn't it?."

If they were genuine, Rodry imagined that they would be fully functional as long as they were strung and inspected. It was amusing to imagine Elessar with a bow, mainly because the fellows personality and demeanor had always struck Rodry as someone who had grown up with a sheltered life. Despite Elessar's age, the old man had a hard time thinking of him as 'old'. Especially considering the elf didn't appear as if he were suffering the ravages of age, at least when the old man had last seen him.

This thought had his gaze returning to Elessar, finally leaving the weapons to study the elf again. While he could smell that the tea was working it's magic, the scent of it tickled his nostrils being so close, the scent of the spices and herbs did well to cover that integral ingredient. He was honestly surprised at himself, that he felt such a powerful urge to help these two. While Rodry had always been the friendly sort, it was rare when he went out of his way to assist, especially volunteering something he had so carefully horded to himself for so long.

Maybe age was mellowing him out as well.

"Well, it is supposed to be the story of ones life told through written words. Recounting events, memories, stories anything that one might like to leave behind to let others remember and learn from."

It might have been an odd name, but the goal was noble enough. Explaining it to another had Rodry introspectively considering what it meant. Looking at it from the point of view of his children, rather than the bitter outlook that had plagued him at his home when they had mentioned it.

"Children learn to grow and forgive some of the most painful mistakes, while they may not forget them, they can move past them."

At least in Rodry's experience, which was hardly typical. After a moment the old man removed the kettle from it's hook, to bring it back over to where he had found it, digging about for a few cups. Carefully pouring them full before returning to where Elessar sat, offering him his cup while the old fellow returned the kettle to it's hook then took up a seat in one of the other chairs. He had left the case by the hearth and now found himself listening carefully to Elessar. While he normally would have commented further on Epiphany, since he knew that the elf enjoyed talking about her, he didn't want to give him something to be distracted by. While that hot tea would offer him a distraction if he wanted it, even Rodry was hesitating to sip it's steaming heat.

Their cups had been generously filled, the tea was a deep hue, a faint redness that tinged the liquids hue coming from the mixture of ingredients. Luckily for Elessar, Rodry had chosen a specific cluster of additives to cover the main ingredient, aromatic and flavorful herbs. One of the first things that Elessar would likely notice was that the tea seemed a little ... thick. It didn't shift in the cup as easily as a purely herbal tea should.

The old mans tea was forgotten at what Elessar had to say, more precisely, what Elessar said Armandeus had said! While Rodry had never in his life been in such dire straights that he considered the possibility of ending his life prematurely ... he couldn't help but wonder what had possessed the elf to do such a thing. He had seemed jumpy, to the old fellow, not suicidal! After a moment he glanced back towards the sleeping elf, lips resting in a grim line. Looking as stern as ever.

"Does he have a ... history? Doing things like that I mean? I don't mean to pry, just trying to understand."

It was one of the few things that he couldn't fathom. Over his long life, he had never felt such an urge, to hurt himself or anything like that, so it was honestly impossible for the old man to relate!

Rodry Pol
Rodry Pol

Back to top Go down

Post by Elessar Sat Dec 29, 2012 1:01 am

"I am well skilled in use with them all as is Armandeus. No point in collecting something you cannot properly use." That was true of any form of collecting although considering the extent of the Elves' collection it could be considered a tad scary as well! And while their visits had been few and far between surely Rodry could tell Elessar wasn't a typical Elf! The infamous battle-axe in question hung separate from the rest of the weapons- it's length resting comfortably upon a shelf mere inches away from the ceiling. While it was certainly not a typical weapon of the Elven kind it had served its purpose well once so who was to say it couldn't again if the need should arise?

The bows were unstrung as traditional bows were but they were most definitely real. Elessar himself could string up his bow and be ready to shoot in the space of time it took an ordinary human to blink! While he did not look the part the elf did not wear the warrior's braids in his hair for merely show. Sometimes it was those who did not look the part were the ones who were most apt to it! Sadly for Rodry Elessar did not look any older than he had the last time they had spoken! Ah, the wonders, or possibly the curse, of immortality- to look young forever! "Fletching refers to the making of the arrows, but yes, that's the word for it. Have you used a bow before?" Whereas Rodry couldn't picture Elessar using a bow Elessar himself really couldn't picture Rodry with one! Of course the elf could have been wrong! Whereas Elessar appeared not to have aged he certainly did not look 'as fresh as the morning dew' as he had during their first meeting! That fine blonde and blue hair of his was tangled and mussed and the look of exhaustion hung heavy on his frame.

The unique scent of the tea was tickling his nostrils and caused Elessar to sit up and lean forward a bit as he breathed it in. He was still a little wary, and perhaps a tad curious of the secret ingredient but he was looking forward to trying the tea nonetheless. If it could do even half of what he hoped in restoring his health he would be grateful. "I find myself thinking more and more of my son as the days pass and I cannot help but wonder if he will ever be able to forgive the mistakes that have been done to him. I hope that you are right in that someday he will understand and be able to move on."

Epiphany and her 'special drinks', oh how Elessar could go on about them if provoked! Thankfully this wouldn't be one of those times for Rodry had finally handed him the tea! The full cup was taken carefully even as Elessar's keen eyes were studying the liquid inside. Now Elessar was not a connoisseur of tea but even he could tell something was off in how thick it appeared to be! He'd meant to comment on this strange appearance when Rodry's question left him sidelined instead!

A history. . . Elessar considered the question even as he continued to watch Rodry. While he was pretty positive in the fact that the old man wouldn't do anything it was hard to quell that overprotective urge that had rose up since the fateful stabbing had happened! "I. . do not believe there is a history. Looking back I can only recall one other time, but that was well over a century ago now. I do not understand it; he has come so close to death so many times within just a short period of time and then he goes and does something like this." There was more than a note of frustration there but Elessar seemed to have it under wraps, for now at least..
Elessar
Elessar

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodry Pol Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:16 am

Now that truly surprised Rodry. While he didn't know enough about Elessar and Armandeous' particular culture and sub-species of elf to be aware of the significance of Elessar's braids, he had always thought the both of them to be peaceful sorts. It was as if Elessar and Armandeus both had been living a secret double life. It just left Rodry feeling a little crass for assuming that the both of them were your typical 'tree-hugging pointy-ear'. Those brilliant sapphire eyes of his once more scanned the room. Taking in the plethora of death dealing tools once more with a new understanding.

"Your room looks as if the two of you are ready for war."

Considering the previous conversation that Elessar and Rodry had shared, about their thoughts of possibly returning to Genesis, it wasn't that far fetched to believe that the two of them truly were planning some sort of assault on the place. Oddly enough, Rodry still remembered that their only true hunger for meat was from variety of fish that lived there. Funny what an old mind chose to remember.

Rodry could well understand the difficulties of their plight. Immortality could indeed be a curse, especially when one's health was not at all well, like the old mans. His own brand of sickness had even struck low the once mighty man he had once been and robbed him of what he had thought of as his life. It was damned lucky for those around him of similarly long lived races, that his illness wasn't contagious.

"I have been known to lose a few arrows in my younger years, it has been a good long while since I last used a bow. I always favored heavier weapons when I did fight."

Mostly that heavy claymore of his, but no need to bring up such details. Especially when Elessar didn't ask for them. Rodry's mystique was part of what made him so very interesting to others at times!

Similarly, it seemed that the mysterious nature of Elessar's own illness was hardly one that could be simply explained, especially since that link between the two elves wasn't well defined to Rodry's experience. The older fellow took his time in assessing his pointy-eared companion, who appeared as if he were honestly just exhausted, if not just getting over some minor sickness. It was why Rodry had come to bring Armandeus his unique blend of tea, if he had known Elessar wasn't well as well, he would have brought enough to make more than just one kettle.

The strongly scented blend of herbs that he had added were meant to cover the tea's unusual ingredient. Depending upon it's quality however, the need for additional flavoring could be more or less needed. Rodry watched keenly, while Elessar took in a lungful of the fragrant mist that rose from the surface of the tea. A part of him left hoping the Elessar's nose wasn't sensitive enough to pick up on the subtle odor that less instinctual beings typically missed.

"Family is important Elessar, but you must remember that each person is their own being. It may take time, but I am sure that he will find that his need for his Father may outweigh any thought of mistreatment. It is just a matter of being supportive, making sure that you do all in your power to make his importance to you clear as well."

Thankfully Elessar didn't bring up any questions about it, otherwise Rodry would be forced to spin a yarn in order to get the elf to feel comfortable drinking it! Hopefully the distraction would be enough for the elf to forget, however briefly, about his misgivings about the appearance of the tea.

While Rodry was a predator at heart, he was harmless to Elessar and Armandeus. He was no more dangerous to them than they were to their selves. Of course in Armandeus' case ...

A heavy sigh left Rodry's shoulders drooping after a brief lift at Elessar's words. It was another ancient plight of the long lived. That they saw the world without being a part of it as much as those who had less time. As such, they tended to have fewer attachments, at least in Rodry's experiences.

"The why is something that only Armandeus could answer for you. While your bodies may still have hundreds of years left to them, it is the mind that can sometimes grow old and tired of this life that we live. While I have never experienced anything like what Armandeus is going through ... I can say that it is sometimes hard for the old at heart to see reason to remain. Hopefully your companion has something worth living and fighting for that is stronger than whatever drove him to his ... slip of the hand ... in the first place."

Rodry had found it difficult to put a word to what had happened. While it may have been the truth, Rodry didn't want to say that Armandeus had tried to kill himself. At least in such ... final and harsh words. He took his own cup, sipping it's contents carefully. Letting the scalding liquid run over his tongue and down his throat. Breathing slowly, after his sip. Feeling it's familiar effects washing over him. Leaving him filled with that familiar wash of life, of being renewed. It had always been downright addictive to the old fellow since he had started his use of it.

Rodry Pol
Rodry Pol

Back to top Go down

Post by Elessar Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:40 pm

Elessar was a surprising Elf once you got to know him! It was a pity that Rodry hadn't given voice to thought of Elessar and Armandeus leading a secret double life for it would have went a long way to explaining a lot of surprising things! Elessar's braids and the room full of Elvish weaponry notwithstanding. "It never hurts to be prepared." Was Elessar's response towards being prepared for war, although considering all the years that had now passed one could argue the tide had turned from being prepared to simply being paranoid.

While Rodry was looking upon the weapons with a new understanding Elessar was looking upon the sleeping form of Armandeus with the same. While he attempted to try and understand why Armandeus had done what he had it was getting harder to ignore the fact that the outcome could have been so much worse; Indeed there was enough weaponry in their room to undertake quite the assault. Elessar couldn't even being to imagine the possibilities.

Speaking of possibilities, the possibility of contracting an illness that only effected those who were deemed immortal was something else that had never crossed Elessar's mind! It was probably a good thing then that Elessar thought Rodry was simply a human instead of one of the longer lived races. "I must admit it has been a while since I have held my bow." Indeed the calluses on the fingers of his left hand had softened from misuse; a loss he was determined to fix in the near future. "I tried and trained with many weapons in my time but I found the bow suited me the best of them all."

Elessar was relieved that Rodry did not seem know about the bond connection between him and Armandeus. Considering all the different ones who knew of it in the past when they shouldn't have the Elf was starting to think it was highly apparent to everyone! The truth of the matter was the bond wasn't responsible for his current ill state even if it had an unwitting role in it. It was impossible to logically explain suffice that through the ethereal power that connected the two Elessar was able to manipulate the energy to aid in healing Armandeus. While the surgery and Armandeus' natural healing ability had done wonders to close the physical wounds on the Elf the emotional and mental ones had remained and that was what Elessar seeked to heal with the help of the bond's energy. It's a draining effect on one such as Elessar who harbors no natural magical ability which resulted in the exhausted, green-around-the-gills effect Rodry was currently studying from the Elf. The assessing had not went unnoticed from Elessar although all it got in return was a faint rise of a thin eyebrow and a somewhat unintentionally snarky question: "See anything interesting?"

The unique blend of tea helped towards distracting Elessar as he leaned in to breathe a bit deeper of the scent. Luckily for Rodry, while Elessar's sense was sharper than humans they were not overly sensitive which left him unable to pick up on the subtle odor hid within the tea!

Would his son need his father someday? Rodry couldn't begin to know how many times that very thought had twisted 'round Elessar's mind as of late. That, in fact, had been one of the more unintentional results stemming from Armandeus' "accident"- the realization of just how short life could possibly be. Yes, Elessar was immortal, but so was Armandeus and if his heart had resided where humans did he would have died with a single thrust of his dagger!

"You speak as one who has experience, perhaps." It was Elessar's turn to assess Rodry, his clear-gray eyes examined the man as he tried not to go cross-eyed over the combination of that purple shirt and teal tie! "We are older than we look," Elessar began with a grimace of how utterly obvious that came out. "I mean to say that in our culture Armandeus is still considered young though his mind, his faer is not. Thanks to the tortures and trials of our past his mind was forced to undergo a change that should not have happened for many years yet and now he struggles to balance it." That was the best Elessar could think to explain Armandeus' relentless visions without actually coming out and saying it. "I am not saying that it explains what he has done, but perhaps it provides a start towards understanding it." The Elf sighed as he stared down into his still full cup. "After this I have to wonder if there really is anything left to hold him here. He has underwent so much these past few years,. . I just don't know." He drowned out the rest of the sigh that had been building in his chest as he lifted the cup to his lips and take a deep sip of the tea.
Elessar
Elessar

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down