Tel'Ranaemyn: The Wandering Hills Inn
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This space is held for (the short version) announcements and any news worthy notations.

If you see missing pictures or links, bare with me! Slight changes in the works.

Here are a few links to help you get started and get a general feel for the players.

-Guest Poster? READ this!
Latest topics
» Finding his way back.
by Sky Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:17 am

» "Hello! Do you have a minute to talk about ...?" ((Open to everyone))
by Archer Caughey Thu Sep 27, 2018 11:14 pm

» O.o This ought to shake up some moods o.O. {OPEN TO ALL}
by Kahn Jordianthan Sat Feb 17, 2018 4:47 am

» What The Heck Happened That Night!
by Arcadia Caughey Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:13 am

» Ghosts of the Past
by Liberty Jean Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:02 pm

» Night One: Introducing Himself [Open to Others]
by De'Ryanna Aybara Sun Dec 03, 2017 1:35 am

Free at last ...

3 posters

Go down

Free at last ... Empty Free at last ...

Post by Ailylaeli Sun Feb 15, 2009 7:36 am

Elves should never be subjected to Earth.

Ailylaeli came through the portal at a dead run. She had finally escaped her captors. Captors, what a pleasant word for what those beasts were. Not all humans were beasts mind you. But the ones who had kept her in a cage for the last forty years, they were beasts. As she ran she tried to remember her life before captivity. But she was too young to have many memories.

She remembered the humans showing up in her village. She remembered being pulled from her mothers arms just moments before they killed her. She remembered that the family she had been placed with, a human family, they had kept her ears hidden when they took her places. She remembered that once she was old enough to function on her own she was made to cook and clean for the family. She had gone from being their adopted child to being their servant.

Those were not happy memories. She kept running.

She remembered that when the parents died, the son wanted nothing to do with her. He suspected that she had poisoned them, or cast a spell on them or something. Cast a spell ... just because she was not human meant she knew magic? Humans ... She remembered that the son had taken her to the circus. She had thought that he was taking her as a treat. She should have known better. He left her there with a strange man. He showed her to her new home. A cage. Like she was an animal.

He dressed her in funny clothes and made her perform for the spectators. And when no one would laugh or cheer for her she would get beat. He had that whip with him all the time. At first he wanted her to walk a tight rope. She hated being that high in the air. It scared her and she fell a lot. Then he took the net away in an attempt at making her try harder. She was out of service for over six months healing from all the broken bones.

When all was said and done, he had made her a clown ... A clown.

Forty years she was in that freak show they called a circus. Forty years she was the pointy eared, purple eyed clown. And when the beast with a whip died ... She escaped. See, there was no longer someone watching over her all day and night. The others never wanted to bother with her. Sure, they brought her food and water. They let her out to perform. But at the end of the night, once everyone had gone to bed. There was no one sleeping outside the door of her cage. It wasn't long before she found a way to escape.

Free at last, free at last, glory be she was free at last.

It took the elf some time to find a place to go. She found a town to stay in here and a town to stay in there. But it never took long for people to figure out that she was different. And once that was figured out, she had to move on. So how did she end up running through a portal to another planet? That was simple. The portal was cleverly hidden between two trees. And the running part? She was trying to escape someone who had caught her trying to steel some food.

So now here she was on a planet she was sure she had never been to before. On a continent she was definitely sure she had never been on before. In a state she wasn't even sure was a state. In a town that she never even knew existed. And no one but her found it odd that she had just burst onto the scene and was running. She slowly started to slow down to a jog that eventually ended in her coming to a stop. And as she doubled over and tried to catch her breath she shook her head and that was how she saw it.

There was an Inn. Food, drink, shelter. And here she was with no money.

No money, not always an issue. There were ways around no money. She could trade labor. If they had no labor for her to do, she could find a place in the town that did. A job, yes, she had worked before. It was all she knew anyway. So inside she went. She looked around in awe as she took in the decor of the Inn. She walked over to where there was a desk. It looked like the place to sign in. She was sure someone would be along to help her shortly, so she waited.

Last edited by Ailylaeli on Thu Feb 19, 2009 7:09 am; edited 2 times in total
Ailylaeli
Ailylaeli

Number of posts : 29

Back to top Go down

Free at last ... Empty Re: Free at last ...

Post by Epiphany Sun Feb 15, 2009 11:10 pm

It was one of those somewhat lazy days for Epiphany. There was a myriad of things she had to do but she didn't feel like doing any of them. This wasn't a day for work, it was a day to sit around and do nothing. Well, maybe sketch. Sketching was always something she could do - that and making up stories - and after her odd encounter with the laptop yesterday a picture had come to mind.

Still. It was a lazy day. It would make sense that, if she was being lazy, then she would be that way in her room, behind closed doors where no one could see her. This wasn't the case. While she wasn't immediately visible Epiphany was out in the open; she was sitting on the floor behind the front desk. Her back up against it, legs pulled up and note pad on her knees. It was a comfortable for her and the dark toned multi-colored, vertical striped pants, plain brown shirt and shoes spoke on just how lazy and comfortable she was feeling. Her clothes usually reflected her mood. The blood-red pendant stood out.

It was while she was sketching that she heard someone enter in, if anything since she was on the floor she felt the cool air that was let in when the door opened. This caused her to peek around the side of the desk and what did she see but the girl's legs. What else was expected when sitting on the floor? At least the lady wasn't wearing a skirt because Epiphany turned her eyes up to see the rest of her before she closed her note pad and stood up.

"Hi there." Bright and chipper with a smile on her face...even though she may have appeared to pop out of nowhere. "Welcome to the Tel'Ranaemyn Inn. How can I help you?"
Epiphany
Epiphany

Number of posts : 615

http://www.bebo.com/iastepiphany

Back to top Go down

Post by Ailylaeli Mon Feb 16, 2009 7:36 am

*Squeak*

Ailylaeli was startled as the lady appeared out of no where right before her very eye's. Even with her sensitive hearing she had not heard any sounds from the lady. That was a bit odd for Ailylaeli. Her hearing was so good.

But now the nice blonde lady was speaking to her. Nice, what was she basing that on? She did not know if this lady was nice. Call it an instinct. She had said hello, return the favor. "Hello." Not hard, not hard at all. But there was more. The lady had welcomed her and asked her if she could help her.

Well, here went nothing.

The Inn was nice and quiet. So she wasn't going to have to worry about having to speak too loudly. "Yes, I am hoping you can help me." She was ready to take a chance. "I am in need of a hot meal, a cold drink, and a comfortable bed." That was what she needed, maybe even in that exact order.

But ... Yes, there is almost always a but, wasn't there. "But I have no money. Perhaps I can earn my keep? I know how to cook and clean." Ha, that was easy enough. Now she would find out if no money was no problem.

She smiled, hoping she was being charming, and waited.

Last edited by Ailylaeli on Thu Feb 19, 2009 7:08 am; edited 2 times in total
Ailylaeli
Ailylaeli

Back to top Go down

Post by Epiphany Mon Feb 16, 2009 8:24 pm

"I think we can handle that." Bed, food, drink, sure that wouldn't be a problem, all she had to do was look in the ledger and see where there was space. "Since you're only one, I don't think you'll be needing a too big of a room right? Just one with a single bed?" As she spoke, she had her head down reading the ledger while she turned to a fresh page. Pencil in hand, she made a few notations. Some work was going to be have to be on the books. They had a lot of people and it might be better to have a more accurate system.

"The rooms here are good. Many of them have their own bathroom but, for those that don't, we do have a group shower and bath for the guest to use. But the rooms have a good bed and a desk." Wanting the lady to know what she could expect in terms of a room, even if she was speaking like it was all a done deal. Epiphany even pulled out the contract sheet and set it on the desk, easing it towards her. On it was the terms and conditions of the Inn such as "if you break it, you fix it" and "payment is due by time of departure."

It also said what she was about to say. "Money is over-rated. Sure it's great and good and helps to make the world go-around, but we're not about to turn someone away simply cause they can't pay." She gave a light shrug of her shoulders and was soon leaning on the front desk. "If you can't pay then we only ask that you help out around here. We have a lot of people and I'm sure Madeline could always use help at the bar when it comes to serving up drinks and food from the kitchen. Then there are the horses that need caring for, and Spring will be here soon so there's gardening. . . " The list could go on but she stopped.

Instead she held a pen out to her. "My name's Epiphany. If you think you can handle what I said then sign your name and you're good to go! I can get you your key."

Epiphany
Epiphany

Back to top Go down

Post by Ailylaeli Thu Feb 19, 2009 7:05 am

Ok, now this was a problem ...

Ailylaeli listened to the lady speaking of the size of room she would need. "No, a small room should be plenty. I can't see waisting space." The lady continued on explaining what was in the rooms. They sounded so lavish. A far cry from her cage of the last forty some years. A bed and a desk. Some of them even had private bathrooms. She would have to work extremely hard to pay for something so nice.

Ailylaeli picked up the offered paper and looked at it as the lady continued to speak. She looked up from the paper at the mention of money. But she said that money was over rated. That made the elf smile. It was good to know she could earn her keep. She looked back down at the paper in her hand as the lady continued.

So now came the part that was the problem.

She listened as the lady continued, all the while looking at the paper. The paper had far more words on it than the lady was speaking. She had been but a babe when she was ripped from her mother's grasp. Her foster parents never gave her an eduction in anything other than doing housework and what the punishment was if it was done wrong, or not done at all.

She looked up at the offered pen and slowly took it from the lady's hand. Epiphany, that was what she had just said her name was. "Well, miss Epiphany, I can cook, I can clean, I know a little about gardening. I've never worked at a bar, but I can learn. I'm even good with animals. There's just one small problem."

Small, who was she kidding?

She sat the paper down on the desk again, placing the pen on top of it. "I can't exactly read, or even write for that matter. I was never taught. I might be able to shape the letters of my name, if I remember what they looked like on the marques at the circus. But I have no idea what I would be making my mark on. Can you better explain this paper to me?" Now that wasn't to difficult either.

So she was honest, hopefully that was a good thing

So far, what she had heard, was fine with her. She had no problem helping out. She just worried that there was something she would need to know and wouldn't know it because she hadn't been able to read the paper. And if she signed it without reading it, wasn't she still bound by it anyway? She had seen it at the circus a few times.

So now she looked at Epiphany with purple eyes almost pleading with her for some help. "If my not reading is a problem, I can go find somewhere else." But she had already started to love the place just from it's decor itself. And she was anxious to see these palace sized rooms. She had never had a private bathroom before. These rooms had to be huge. Even the ones she called small.
Ailylaeli
Ailylaeli

Back to top Go down

Post by DrDonaldBlake Thu Feb 19, 2009 12:53 pm

"You know, Thats all you need to know in order to get the ball rolling on learning how to read." Came Doctor Blakes voice as he came hobling down the stairs, walking stick support most of his weight as the handsome Doctor took the steps one at a time. Though when he got to the bottom he walked with a great bit more ease towards the front desk. Though he still used his walking stick.

"Knowing what your name looks like. That's an amazing start; I mean, I've been in parts of the world where letters frighten some people." Donald took a lean against the desk too, offering a smile to the new resident." Donald Blake, nice to meet you miss." his hand was offered forward to the woman before he went on."I'd be willing to help you learn to read and write. If you're up for it." Was he trying to show off his good nature to Epiphany? maybe, who knows really.

More possibly Doctor Blake was just being himself, trying to help those around him and make the world a better place the only way he knew how. Of course though Epiphany was offered a wave and a smile.

DrDonaldBlake

Number of posts : 167

Back to top Go down

Post by Epiphany Thu Feb 19, 2009 4:12 pm

Just as she was about to explain the paper to the newcomer, who should appear but "Blake." Epiphany had turned her head when she heard him and took her hands from the desk to give an unconscious tug to her brown shirt. Call it a nervous tick but the tone of her voice and the smile she displayed said that she was happy to see him. She was getting to know the guy and thought that he was rather cool.

Looking from him to the elf she spoke again. "You might not be able to write your name, but you can make your mark. I think that's the saying." Almost sure of it. As far as the paper goes and Blake. "Doctor Blake here is a good man. Very helpful. Knows a lot of things. " She picked up the paper again and looked it over.

"As for the paper, well, it's like I said," clearing her throat she decided to read a few of the lines. "'The signer of this contract is responsible for the care of the furniture and objects within their given room. Responsibility begins once they have been given their key to the time said key has been returned and exit papers are signed. If anything is broken or damaged they will be charged with repairing, or providing the funds, to have it repaired before their departure. If something is damaged upon primary entrance into the room it is to be reported immediatly." She paused there and smiled to the Elf. "Though I can assure you that all of the rooms are in good, clean working order."

De'Ryanna made sure of that and therefore Epiphany didn't worry. "Ah... where was I? Oh yes, 'The guest is allowed to make minor changes to their room as far as placement of furniture, but any facial alterations must first be approved by one of the Inn's owners.' Like if you wanted to paint the walls." She chuckled a bit and grinned at the Doctor. He'd know why.

Taking a deep breath she read another section. "'Payment is due when exit papers are signed, though payment can be made in advance. If the under signed is unable to pay in coinage they can barter with services rendered to the Inn. This is a binding contract.'" There was nothing said about what happened to those who tried to skip out on payment.

She turned the paper around for her to see and pointed to the check boxes. "This here says the type of room you have: single bed, first floor. I changed it to one without a private bath since you mentioned a thing about space, but the communial bath is at the end of the hall on the first floor. There's a separte section for men and women and it has fresh towels and all that. Oh! And you room has a dresser and closet for your clothes." Couldn't forget that now could she?

Now that it was explained she set the paper back down.

Epiphany
Epiphany

Back to top Go down

Post by Ailylaeli Sat Feb 21, 2009 10:57 am

*Thud*

That was the sound of Ailylaeli turning around and hitting against the counter with her back. The male voice that had come from behind her had given her quite the start. The Inn had been so quiet that she had thought the place to be almost empty. And yet, here came someone, and he was walking with ... A cane?

For the briefest of moments she remembered being beaten with a similar walking stick. A punishment from her 'father' for breaking a dish. She closed her eyes and shook her head, wanting to get the memory from her mind. Surely this man would not cane her. He was offering help, he had a pleasant tone to his voice. He seemed to be using his cane as a tool, not an accessory.

No, he wasn't going to punish her ... Right?

The lady Epiphany who seemed so nice, she had said the man's name. 'Blake' she said. Which had been confirmed to Ailylaeli when the man also gave it himself. So an introduction and an offered hand were presented. She needed to reciprocate. "Ailylaeli." She said it 'Ale - I - Lay - Lee'. She had never known if that was the correct pronunciation of it, but that was how her human 'family' had said it, so that was how it was.

"Are you an Educator in these lands Donald Blake?" She probably sounded very naive, but in some ways, she was. "Perhaps, if I find a chance, I will take you up on your offer of assistance." Despite the elves manner of speech, she was uneducated. She simply learned how to speak from her human 'family' and they were pretentious snobs. She knew those words because they used those words about others. But she extended her hand to Donald Blake just as he had her. She placed her palm against his and closed her fingers around his hand.

There was a difference between ignorant and being uneducated.

Ailylaeli returned her attention to the lady Epiphany. She had to ask. "Is not my name my mark?" If there was a difference, the elf knew nothing about it. And did she say Doctor? Back on Earth, Doctors and Educator's were two very different types of people. Here, Doctor's were Educator's? What an odd place. But hopefully it was a safe place. She listened to what Epiphany had said about the paper and then looked at it. Everything sounded on the up and up. Clothes was another thing she didn't have. But at least once she signed the paper, she could eat and have something to drink.

So the pen was placed to the paper and one long line of swirls formed the word ... Ailylaeli ...

Last edited by Ailylaeli on Thu Feb 26, 2009 6:23 am; edited 1 time in total
Ailylaeli
Ailylaeli

Back to top Go down

Post by DrDonaldBlake Sat Feb 21, 2009 12:10 pm

Technically, Doctors where Educators on both worlds. Attending Doctors Taught resident Doctors while the resident Doctors taught the Intern doctors and they helped to teach those that where in med school.

"Sort of, well, no not in this land, i this land. I'm the head doctor at a free clinic up in town. but back in New York, I was you could say an educator. I worked at a teaching hospital. good times. but thats not really the point... Point is! that reading and writing is all far easier then most people make it out to be. and I think you would be really very good at it."

And then a moment of self reflection." you know, I really should think about getting more clothes... all of mine still sort of fit in my pack. oh!" and then he looked over at Epiphany. "Do you know where i can go to get some herbs. my medicine roll is getting a little low on product, and my friend up at the Phoenix Coalition well she sort of disappeared. "

DrDonaldBlake

Number of posts : 167

Back to top Go down

Post by Epiphany Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:23 pm

"And here's your key!" Epiphany's response was chipper as she placed the key down on the desk after the paper was signed. Taking the paper she folded it and placed it in a box that was behind the desk. Papers. Boxes. Doors. All of them getting the names of people. Maybe there was a connection there?

"Up the steps to the first flight, fifth door on the left." Yeah, that was it. If she followed those directions she would find her room. "You can go there first, or you could go past the bar and get something to eat. Either is fine. Welcome to the Inn." Had she introduced herself? "My name is Epiphany, by the way."

Then there was the question from Blake. "There is a shop in town, Armandeus and Elessar know about it. Mary's shop? They say she sells everything you can think of." it had to be an exaggeration, but that's what they said! "We should go there."

Epiphany
Epiphany

Back to top Go down

Post by Ailylaeli Thu Feb 26, 2009 6:52 am

This might take some getting used to.

Ailylaeli listened as the doctor spoke of Doctors being Educators. The Doctors that always came to the parties that her human 'family' threw were too ... Arrogant ... To be Educators. She wouldn't believe them to be the type to help others. And Educators helped others. At least, that was the case in her experience. And here was this Doctor, offering to help her by being an Educator. It was comforting in a way.

She listened as he explained all this to her. How he had worked at a learning hospital and how he worked at a free clinic now. She had no idea what that was, but it sounded nice. After all, free was nice, right? And he said that he thought she would be good at reading and writing. That was interesting to her. Perhaps she would give him a chance to teach her. "Thank you for your offer of help Doctor Blake. I truly might take you up on that. I am intrigued to say the least." She smiled at him then.

Sometimes she ended up getting lucky.

Miss Epiphany was now handing her the key to her room. So she reached up and took the offered key. She had never had the key to her own room before. Her human 'family' locked her in her room every night. At the circus she was locked in a cage. But now, here, she had the key. It felt liberating. "Thank you miss Epiphany." She had said her name before, but she was saying it again. Perhaps she wanted it to stick, or perhaps the Doctor made her a little nervous.

So now she was faced with an option. She had a choice, so many new things. She could either go to her room, or she could go get something to eat. Well, she didn't exactly have bags to take to her room. So she figured that the food option worked the best for her at the moment. "If you will excuse me, I believe I would like to get something to eat. Merry met to you both." She smiled to both of them and gave a slight bow.

Now, was that the bar right over there?
Ailylaeli
Ailylaeli

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down