Tel'Ranaemyn: The Wandering Hills Inn
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This space is held for (the short version) announcements and any news worthy notations.

If you see missing pictures or links, bare with me! Slight changes in the works.

Here are a few links to help you get started and get a general feel for the players.

-Guest Poster? READ this!
Latest topics
» Finding his way back.
by Sky Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:17 am

» "Hello! Do you have a minute to talk about ...?" ((Open to everyone))
by Archer Caughey Thu Sep 27, 2018 11:14 pm

» O.o This ought to shake up some moods o.O. {OPEN TO ALL}
by Kahn Jordianthan Sat Feb 17, 2018 4:47 am

» What The Heck Happened That Night!
by Arcadia Caughey Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:13 am

» Ghosts of the Past
by Liberty Jean Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:02 pm

» Night One: Introducing Himself [Open to Others]
by De'Ryanna Aybara Sun Dec 03, 2017 1:35 am

•§• Examining the Ledger

2 posters

Go down

•§• Examining the Ledger  Empty •§• Examining the Ledger

Post by Airtia S. Cauthon Sun Jun 27, 2010 4:54 pm

The Ledger. That had been an object of interest last time she came past the desk and actually took a good look at it. It was not the leather covering or the stitching, it wasn’t even the light-faded sketches on the cover that caused it to take her attention. It was what surrounded the Ledger and what she felt inside of it.

Standing just behind front desk a lacquered red nail tapped out a five-count beat on the ledge. Steady and deliberate it gave something for idleness as her silver eyes looked ahead and directly at the book. Mid-day and the main floor of the Inn was quiet, no one walked around to question what she was doing at the front desk or to engage in conversation – if they had and she didn’t wish to be bothered then a simple wave of her hand or a hardened look would have them continue. When she had last looked at his book she noticed that Gawain had signed his name and she was willing to bet that he did so unknowing what he was actually signing..

Her daughter had put Wards and Weaves all over the Front Desk, but they were subtle. True that the only ones able to connect to the Source (the female half) would be able to see them and then if they happened to look closely. What De’Ryanna had done was not sloppy worked and each thread was woven so closely into the wood of the desk that it nearly blended. It was even laced into a net that covered the opening the Ledger and money container, and keys rested in so that no one could reach in without her knowing. While she was impressed she was also slightly annoyed. The Weaves were so tightly bound that pulling them apart with minimal interruption to alert the maker of it was going to take some time. Yes. She was going to remove the Ledger without alerting her daughter.

Tampering with another person’s Weave required you to know exactly how it was made: the right percentage and mix of elements and if it was wrong the task could fail. Two people could make the exact same Weave, that was the teachings. Teachings were often wrong or they were very good at leaving bits out. Truth was: two people could, in fact, make the same exact Weave if they were skilled at extracting. And she was.

Airtia wasn’t simply looking at the book and the desk, she was gauging the properties of the Waves. That could even be the reason for the tapping nail. One minute passed, five and then ten before she was successful in creating a Weave of her own that fit precisely to the one already there. She watched it settle over De’Ryanna’s Weave and infuse itself and once it was settled Airtia stretched the netting apart until it was big enough for her to reach in and grab the Ledger. As it was removed she set a basic pressure weave in the books place. The desk would not know it was gone until someone reached for the place where the book was suppose to be.

Victory.

A smile shadowed over her lips as the heel of her a red leather knee-high boots clicked soundlessly on the wooden floor when she walked. Airtia was not taking the book and running away – no point – instead she was headed out of the front door and to the porch. The single French braid that held back her aurburn hair passed from the middle of her shoulder and towards her right as her head turned to take a slight look over he left shoulder. Where had Gawain gone these days? His presence about the Inn was thin at best and since their Bond had not been reestablished since his last return from Hell she could not pin-point his position. There were others means, and yet . . .

She opened the door and stepped out in the light of the afternoon to sit in one of the seats and examine this ‘harmless’ Ledger.
Airtia S. Cauthon
Airtia S. Cauthon

Number of posts : 185

Back to top Go down

•§• Examining the Ledger  Empty Re: •§• Examining the Ledger

Post by Gawain Sun Jun 27, 2010 11:00 pm

It is odd how if you think of someone hard enough, you will eventually see them. Gawain was turning the corner to walk into the inn when he smelled a scent that caused him to stop and smile. "Hello, wife. You look....well, you know how you look, hot stuff. How's everything?" He took steps to walk over to her, seated himself beside her, and smiled. "Been meanin' to talk with ya about something. A, shall we say, problem I have had since I returned from beyond. I'd like it fixed....but I'd like to do it differently this time."
Gawain
Gawain

Number of posts : 376

Back to top Go down

Post by Airtia S. Cauthon Mon Jun 28, 2010 2:34 am

When Gawain saw her she was sitting in one of the chairs. A partial relaxed lean given in the seat but her back kept straight. Her feet were propped up on the table that was across from her, heel of the left boot flush on the table and right ankle crossed over the top. The Ledger was in her lap and what wrapped around her legs was a black pant.

Airtia knew he was there. When he got close enough that 'way' of knowing where he was kicked in and that shadow of a smile crossed her lips again while her eyes stayed upon the Ledger. It's where her attention stayed until he spoke to her. "Greetings, Gawain." She said it steadily though there was a hint of a teasing quality in her voice. Two fingers flipped the pages of the book and then she tapped the spot in the book where he had signed his name. "Do ye realize what it tis that ye signed when ye got a room 'ere?"

A slight upwards tip of her head as she looked at him, the smile still in place She had heard what he said about wanting to fix something. It would be gotten to.
Airtia S. Cauthon
Airtia S. Cauthon

Back to top Go down

Post by Gawain Mon Jun 28, 2010 2:41 am

It couldn't be too bad, since she wasn't shaking the ledger and glaring. "I was under the assumption that is was merely a ledger. Why do you ask? What, is there something in the subtext about the rates being one soul? They're outta luck if that's the case."

He scooted closer, looking over the ledger a bit, then scratched his head. "There's some sort of trick to it, isn't there? A Warding? Had to be Saidar, since I'm not seeing anything. Care to enlighten me, dear?" His hand went to her knee, and he simply looked to her. He was, after all, sure she would explain what she had found to him when she felt the need.
Gawain
Gawain

Back to top Go down

Post by Airtia S. Cauthon Mon Jun 28, 2010 3:01 am

She nearly chuckled at his first collection of words but didn't. "Iffen our daughter 'ad the ability tae trap a person's soul by 'aving them sign a book then we would 'ave a lot more tae be worried about." The Ledger was settled back upon her lap and she brushed her fingers over the pages. Her tone was more relaxed and when that happened her accent was more evident. She could hide it completely when she wanted. She was right, if De'Ryanna could steal a person's soul then Airtia would have to start wondering just how much like her mother was she. That type of thinking was best left alone.

Airtia didn't move when he touched her knee - why would she - but a nod was given to his assumption of the Source. "Signing this.. Ledger binds the signee tae the Inn. Iffen they leave without signing, fire will run through their blood. Fer how long I am nae sure." And she paused, looking back down at the collection of name and the doodles that were there as well.

"Tis like a punishment fer nae doing what they were asked." Now she did chuckle even if it was short lived. "I cannae tell the strength o' it but I would wager it tis more than a prick."

The Ledger closed. "I think it tis rather amusing. She did nae learn that trick from me." It was a rather dark trick and not one that she ever learned at the Tower for they didn't teach methods of torture.
Airtia S. Cauthon
Airtia S. Cauthon

Back to top Go down

Post by Gawain Mon Jun 28, 2010 3:16 am

He chuckled, peering at the book again. "If there was any chance of a doubt, or could be, it would be dispelled now. She's our daughter, no doubt. Nasty trick....seems quite dark. The Tower wouldn't teach that sort of thing...maybe she learned something from one of the Black Ajah?" Of course, he was joking. "Sort of cuts out the possibility of skipping out on paying your tab, doesn't it?"

After a moment, he rose and walked to the guard rail of the porch, calmly leaning against it. "Good thing Madeline checked out the proper way, not that she would do anything else." He paused, shaking his head slightly as if in disbelief. "What does this mean, though? Is she trying to keep someone from leaving without her knowing? It's a good bet she'd rather be rid of me, so in my case, that can't be right. Seems like it's to guard against people stiffing the inn...but even then, it's a little on the extreme side."

As he turned to look at her, he sighed. "I told you we had a rather nasty argument, didn't I? Well, I have not seen her since. It did not help that I had been drinking...'celebrating' the anniversary of Gareth. You know. And don't lecture me about drinking, it was one of the rare occasions when I felt the need. Anyway, she was, and probably still is, pissed. With good reason. I said some things I didn't mean, things that were not warranted...look, if you see her, tell her I wish to apologize for some of what was said."

Brushing his hair back from his eyes with a sweep of his hand, he turned back to the railing. "I would love to know what the reasoning for this is, but I would not get an answer if I asked. Even if she were in the mood to provide one, she would not provide it to me. It will probably be quite some time before things between us are fixed. I must admit, however, that this is something we should look into. Some poor shmuck steps out on his bill and gets deep-roasted...wow."
Gawain
Gawain

Back to top Go down

Post by Airtia S. Cauthon Mon Jun 28, 2010 11:22 am

He may have been joking but to Airtia the possibly of it being Black Ajah was a possibility, however she would let that part of the conversation go. The deeper part of it would be kept to herself. "I saw that Madeline 'as signed out. Be sure ye do the same thing, iffen ye tend tae nae longer 'ave residency 'ere. It tis yer name in the book, nae mine." She had never signed the book when she arrived. Airtia had come in through the front door but walked right past the desk and up to the room that was his.

Airtia took the book by the spine and held it up, elbow resting upon the right thigh. Gawain had gotten up and her eyes followed him. "Tis nae a book, Gawain, nae in the regular sense. I found nae Weaves about it that would cause that...effect. Only A carefully and intricate Spirit Weave that would make the connection. The book is a Sa'angreal." A Sa'angreal was an object of the One Power designed for specific purposes and could do various things depending on what they were deigned to do. "Nae the entire book, but the bone in the books spine 'n frame." The rest was dressing to hide the object.

The lifted book was placed back into her lap as there was a slight shift in the position she sat. To the information about the argument that he had with their daughter she asked: "'Ave ye tried saying that ye were sorry, that o'ten works. Or simply let it go. I'm nae going tae apologize tae her fer ye. Tis nae how those things work." She could tell Ryanna that she spoke to her father but would she was the question. This matter between father and daughter was not an incident that she thought to involve herself in because it didn't concern her. Any involvement she had in resolving their personal issue wouldn't be justified. Perhaps 'healing the family' was a concept that was lost on Airtia. If Gawain and De'Ryanna had to work together to accomplish a means she was sure that their daughter would work with him whether she thought well of her father or not.

It was how the Sedai worked: Put aside personal differences for the duration of the task.

"I did nae tell ye o' the book because I was concerned fer the welfare o' the people in the Inn, but because I saw yer name in it when I scanned it the o'ter day. Cannae ave ye getting burned when ye leave. Can I?" A question it was, and a question it wasn't, she said it to him with a slight lift of her brow. Feet lifted up off the table and were directed to press against the floor as she stood, the book having been taking up by her hand to keep it from falling.

"I belive she may find this... trick tae be rather comical. Dark humor. Epiphany 'as more than enough resources tae keep the Inn wit'out the need o' the tenants paying. I'd worry about where she got the book and iffen she 'as any more. Objects like these are nae easily gotten." Her standing position had her right leg ahead and slightly crossed in front of the left. The Ledger held in the cup of her left hand while the fingers of her right rested upon the table.
Airtia S. Cauthon
Airtia S. Cauthon

Back to top Go down

Post by Gawain Mon Jun 28, 2010 11:49 pm

Gawain smiled, leaning on the railing and relaxing. Air didn't always show affection in the normal sense, so when she admitted that she was concerned that he would be flash-fried, he took that as concern born of love. His eyes went to her, almost as if he were sizing her up. "I wouldn't do that to ya, Air. Not again. I'm done with foolish risks....I've spent enough time being the absent party in our relationship. One thing, though...do you still desire me? The old shackle, ball, and chain?" He could go back to the house and bring them if she wanted.....

"Nah, I'll take care of it. I wouldn't ask you to apologize for me. You know me better than that, I'm sure. I'll give her a little time to cool down....she's enough like her father to warrant that. You're right, though. Ryan has a rather dark sense of humor...how could she not, considering who her parents are?"

Pushing off of the rail, he stretched, then stepped over to Air, putting the fingers of his right hand on her cheek. He would give that cheek a stroke before he continued. "It's been a long time since we had a night out, you know....why don't you put the ledger back and join me for dinner? No cooking, of course....we could go to a nice restaurant, maybe follow that up with some dancing, see where that leads us?" Yes, he was trying to get her to take off with him and have some fun. They had been married long enough to have earned a few nights alone, to enjoy each other's company, hadn't they?
Gawain
Gawain

Back to top Go down

Post by Airtia S. Cauthon Wed Jun 30, 2010 4:44 am

Airtia had stayed where she was with the book in hand and as he spoke and neared her head tipped the slightest to the side. Her cheek was in the perfect position for his fingers to touch and even for his hand to hold if he wanted to do more than the stroke of his fingers. Skin was warm to the touch as always and her silver eyes connected to his and held as she listened to him speak.

"With the way that ye only touch my cheek I 'ave tae wonder iffen ye still desire me." The right hand of hers left the table to echo was he was doing on her face to his, only she let the tips of her polished nails walk along the flesh of his cheek instead of caressing it. Her words were the answer to his question. Airtia stepped forward and into him, the left hand that held the book came up and she pressed it between them tightly enough that she didn't need to hold it anymore.

The left hand was now free to smooth against the other side of his face and do it with the most gentlest touch, but not too rough either. "I know that ye will take care o' it" The Ledger, that is why she had taken her hands off. Maybe Gawain would catch it and not let it fall to the ground of the porch.

Head leaned in and her lips placed right besides his own while she spoke. "I may be in the mood tae eat something that tis nae served at the places 'ere. That tis...." trailing the words off as her head moved and her lips were now over his, but not in a kiss. Merely moving against his own as she spoke directly into his mouth in shushed tones. "Iffen ye deal with the Ledger."

Any movement to bring them closer together would have resulted in a kiss but that move wouldn't be from her part.
Airtia S. Cauthon
Airtia S. Cauthon

Back to top Go down

Post by Gawain Wed Jun 30, 2010 5:30 am

"You know I do, pet. Why else would I even be here? I could have waited at home, but that ain't my style. There are no questions between us anymore, just momentary needs to affirm the obvious." He pressed his lips to hers, smiling inwardly at the knowledge that even though they had long since become one, there were still ways of making all things new.

After breaking the kiss, he pulled back only a bit, taking the ledger from her. "I'll go and speak to Epiphany about this. It could be that she knows of the Wards, since this is, if I am not mistaken, her place. I'll find out, regardless. It may just be that enough time has passed that a talk between myself and our daughter is not out of the realm of possibility."

After a moment, he smiled. "There is one thing that needs looking into. Our bond was severed, quite painfully, not so long ago. I would see it returned, but subtly altered. A mutual bonding, of course. We share the benefits, like last time, but we also share the burden. What else is right between us? Anyway, come see me in a bit. I have an idea for dinner....we may even run into our son. I've a craving for some of Alys' cooking...you know that tough old bird could boil up a rock and turn out a wonderful meal." He was not suggesting that they spy on Xavier, but in travelling to the Waste for a brief bit, they may run into him. They were both told they were welcome under the Roofmistress's roof anytime, after all.
Gawain
Gawain

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down