Tel'Ranaemyn: The Wandering Hills Inn
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This space is held for (the short version) announcements and any news worthy notations.

If you see missing pictures or links, bare with me! Slight changes in the works.

Here are a few links to help you get started and get a general feel for the players.

-Guest Poster? READ this!
Latest topics
» Finding his way back.
by Sky Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:17 am

» "Hello! Do you have a minute to talk about ...?" ((Open to everyone))
by Archer Caughey Thu Sep 27, 2018 11:14 pm

» O.o This ought to shake up some moods o.O. {OPEN TO ALL}
by Kahn Jordianthan Sat Feb 17, 2018 4:47 am

» What The Heck Happened That Night!
by Arcadia Caughey Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:13 am

» Ghosts of the Past
by Liberty Jean Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:02 pm

» Night One: Introducing Himself [Open to Others]
by De'Ryanna Aybara Sun Dec 03, 2017 1:35 am

)(( Just a Precaution ))(

3 posters

Go down

)(( Just a Precaution ))( Empty )(( Just a Precaution ))(

Post by Arcadia Caughey Fri Oct 16, 2009 12:00 am

[While it'll take two posts to get the whole of this up, after the second this thread can be open if anyone feels the urge or need to see Caddy and Archer =D I just had the idea for this moment earlier today and thought it was neat.]

While Archer was in his main lab trying to work the kinks out of his latest new invention, Arcadia was in the front room of his humble one-story abode working on a few more traditional inventions of her own. On one of the leather sofas there were three boxes, each with their lids already removed. Inside of each there were four clear glass globes, each with a metal top and hook. Most people saw such globes as things that belonged on evergreen trees and bushes in celebration of Yule or Christmas. But where Arcadia and Archer were from, there was an even older ritual for which such balls when stuffed with the proper herbal mix came in handy.

To prepare for said ritual, last week Arcadia had freshly harvested any of the required herbs that were still in season. Rather than dry them at her usual haunts, she chose to hang them all in Archer's stock room to dry. The more of this process that she could do in his dwelling, the more the magic would be rooted there and thus the more potent she believed the ritual would be. It was why Arcadia had just pulled the rest of the needed herbs from the bottles and jars in Archer's lavishly stocked storage room a moment ago, rather than pulling from her own prized stock. After pulling the freshly dried herbs she'd collected off their stems, each of the herbs was now in its own separate bowl - rue, heather, rosemary, yarrow, cedar and sage. One by one, Arcadia poured the dried herbs into a mortar and crushed them into finer bits with a pestle. Once crushed, she put the herb into a larger mixing bowl, so that she could mix all the herbs together when the crushing of them was complete.

By the time she started to crush the rosemary, Archer yelled from the lab. "I can smell that from in here, Caddy!" Arcadia's lip curled into a wry little smirk as she continued to pound the mortar with the pestle, replying only, "Aye, Archer?" After a short series of bangs, rubber mallet to soft metal, he replied, "Yeah, aye! Aye it stinks." Arcadia snorted softly, setting the pestle down and adding the ground rosemary to the already crushed rue and heather. There was a retort about the earthly smell covering up his less-than-savory male stench, but as she refrained from comment Archer was answered with only the sounds of her work. Which is what made him ask, "So, ah, what did you say all this hocus pocus was for?"

Though she obviously couldn't look through walls, Arcadia looked up from the tiny buds of yarrow she was pulling off the stem and adding directly into the large bowl. As violet eyes bored through the wall, her eyebrow lifted in that slow, questioning arch. "I didn't," was her conservative answer. "It's a Witch's Ball." Though she almost hoped she hadn't spoken the reply loudly enough for Archer's human ears to make out, his called reply came right away. "Ah, a Witch's Ball." Pause. Casually, "So what's a Witch's Ball?"

"Archer," his sister's tone was unquestionably scolding. "Someone pretendin' t' study the magical arts would be farther along than you." It was true. Besides the roles he played in the Solstice and Equinox rituals, Archer had done very little to further his ability. That had actually been part of the reason she'd selected this method of achieving her aim; but, she had also been hoping that in addition to not knowing what nature of magic she was working he wouldn't care enough to inquire. Alas, her hope was in vain. She pushed through the initial hesitance within her conservative answer, "A concentrated magical boundary. T' be hung over every possible entranceway in a dwellin'. Once hung, the words spoken connect the power o' the balls t' create an invisible wall o' sorts, to prevent intruders o' any energy, form or feature from enterin' uninvited."

"Well neat-o." It was a polite response, Arcadia could tell. Archer's 'I'm Kinda Listening' tone of voice. But Archer's brain is just like an elephant - it never forgets anything, even things only half-listened to. So when her words really sank into a brain wrinkle to settle down for good, Archer caught up with the explanation. A short laugh as he turned his project onto its end, and he shook his head. "Y'know what's funny? With Samhain 'round the corner, the way you explained that makes it sound like you're afraid the infamous Faery Ride Calvary is going to bang down my door and collect me as one of their dead."

To Archer's mortal ears, the only sound he heard from the front room was silence. In truth Arcadia's head was bent over the mortar, into which she was quietly shaking in the sage. Her lips pressed together, she had no intention of answering him. All bangs and booms from the lab stopped dead in their tracks as Archer stepped back from his work table. "Caddy?" Still nothing from Arcadia. Archer set the rubber mallet down on his work table on his way out of the lab, long strides making a beeline for his sister. He stood in the doorway to the front room, dead grey eyes set on her. "Arcadia. You are thinking that, aren't you?"
Arcadia Caughey
Arcadia Caughey

Number of posts : 126

Back to top Go down

)(( Just a Precaution ))( Empty Re: )(( Just a Precaution ))(

Post by Archer Caughey Fri Oct 16, 2009 12:04 am

Though she didn't look up from her work, Archer could both hear and see her sigh. She was grounding the pungent white sage in smooth scooping strokes, nearly done with the task. "I think..." she trailed off, shaking her head at the mortar. It wasn't until she was pouring the crushed sage into the large bowl with the rest of the herbal mix that she finished her thought. "I think it's possible, aye."

"No. Not logical." He was real quick to deny her suspicion. Suddenly, the set of his jaw was tense. So was the square of his shoulders. Any subject that was even remotely tied to the fact that he'd died a couple years ago was one he didn't like to discuss. Which is why his next words sounded like he was putting an end to the discussion. "The ritual you did was obviously recognized by the Powers, or else I wouldn't be standing here." Or walking back to his lab. Which is what he was doing.

Until her protest, that is. "But..." In the hallway Archer stopped. Though he turned towards the doorway to the front room, he didn't go back to stand there. He called back to her from the hall instead, "But?" Arcadia stepped in the doorway now, wanting to be face to face with him. "But it's still there. The...residue o' it. No one can walk the Land o' the Dead without wearin' its effect in some way or another." As she broke that news to him, there was an extra layer to her tone - the soothing, mellowly melodic quality of the vampiric thrall. It was her way of trying to care for him. Give him ease to balance the words that she suspected would give him distress. And when she reached up it was gradual - to give Archer plenty of time to avoid the reach if he wished. While he didn't, Arcadia did not actually touch him. Her cool fingertips touched instead at something he could not see about an inch and a half away from his cheek. "Y' wear it here, just outside o' you. The mark o' the river o' blood, Archer."

His jaw set tightly, Archer let out a breath through his nostrils that was hard enough to make each of them flare. The exhale was supposed to help him relax some, but....not so much. He rolled his eyes and the sarcasm wasn't subtle. "Well that's just super." He lifted his hand, holding it up in front of his face and squinting at it. But he saw nothing. Not a surprise to him, though - he knew he rode in the magical short bus. "Alright, I'm officially freaked out. You just signed yourself up for baby-sitting me during All Hallows Eve."

Arcadia tried to purse the amusement out of her lips, but it didn't quite work. She shook her head, reaching up to take his hand to lower it from his face. "The eve is just the opening of the gateway between the worlds, remember. Hallows lasts an entire month. The gates'll be open and the breath from the Cave o' Voices will be directin' the riders - "

Archer was quick to cut in. "You're not helping my freaking, Caddy. I hear Wallachia is mighty fine to visit this time of year..."

Despite the unease that was hidden below the surface, a short laugh bubbled off Arcadia's lips because of what Archer was suggesting. He surely was freaked, to even consider staying at 'Dracula Jr's' castle, as he so loved to call Adrian. "Archer," her voice was firm, resolute, and the lulling melody that chimed below each syllable would cement that resolution in the fiber's of Archer's mind, "listen t' me. Y've been back from the Land o' the Dead for over two years now. This is a precaution."

Folding his arms across his chest, he watched her. "Just a precaution?"

She nodded. "Aye, just a precaution."
Archer Caughey
Archer Caughey

Number of posts : 136

Back to top Go down

Post by AngelRayne Fri Oct 16, 2009 12:41 pm

( I'm working on a where has Angel been post ... it's coming .. slowly. Someone won't work with me and tell me where she's been >.> Anyway! Read this, had an idea for awhile before I poofed so this is a perfect opening. OK hushing now)

Angel and company, Az and Silver of course, had been back at the inn for a couple days now. She hadn't been out much yet, maybe down to the bar for a quick drink or outside the gardens to walk out there in the cool Fall air with Az and Silver. While she was away, Angel had spent a lot of time reflecting on things in her life that either needed to be fixed or where right and needed a boost or something along those lines. (look for the post on where's she's been! Coming soon >.>) She had spent most of the day yesterday, penning and re-penning a letter to Archer. After the way he left the Inn that day and the way she had acted, Angel had felt awful.Truly terrible. She knew she was wrong to have acted like that, but she had her reasons. Silly as they maybe now, they where still her reasons.

Of course Angel could have just sent a messenger to find Archer and give him the letter, but this was important to her and she wanted to hand deliver the letter to him herself. To see with those light blues of her's that he actually got it, and maybe opened it. He didn't have to read it in front of her of course, but this way she'd feel better and not wonder if he got it or what not. So, dressed in her typical outfit of baggy jeans, a long sleeved dark purple shirt and her boots, Angel kissed Az on the top of his head with a quick
" I'll be back in a bit. Mind Silver while I'm gone." and stepped out the door with the envelope in hand.

Now where to look for him? Easy enough question to answer, Angel knew him well enough to know that he lived at his lab most of the time. So that's where she would head, remembering the address from the card Pip had that one day. Eventually she made her way to the location of his lab, and stopped just outside. A deep, unneeded breath was taken calming herself. This visit could go a bunch of different ways. From very good to just horrible. Of course Angel was hoping for very good, but she had to be ready in case it went south. Another unneeded breath and booted feet took her up the stairs to the door. Hand not holding the envelope rang the bell.

Not much left for her to do but wait and see who opened the door! That and figure out what she was going to say to whoever opened the door.
AngelRayne
AngelRayne

Number of posts : 84

http://www.myspace.com/misticangel

Back to top Go down

Post by Archer Caughey Sat Oct 17, 2009 3:31 pm

Maybe it would've been a mexican standoff between the two Caugheys. Maybe the next one of them to speak would have said the wrong thing and flared the other's temper. Or maybe by some miracle Archer would've asked Caddy if she wanted help getting the Witch's Balls ready-set. But they'd never find out because what happened next was the doorbell.

Once the ding donged, Arcadia and Archer both turned to look at the door in question, before turning their heads back to exchange a glance with one another. Archer shook his head slightly - no, he wasn't expecting anyone. Arcadia's brow arched. As nearest to the door, it was her silent steps that crept closer and soon one violet eye was peering through the peep hole. When she saw who stood outside, one of her small knowing little smiles claimed her lips.

Stepping back, Arcadia left the door unopened. Instead she headed back into the front room, picking up the large bowl of ground mixed herbs in one hand and a box of the glass globes in the other. On her way back out into the hallway, she met Archer's perplexed gaze and said with a faint grin, "M' goin' t' start m' hangin' work in the kitchen." The grin widened with tickled amusement as she brushed past him and went off. Arcadia absolutely did not want to get in the middle of what was about to commence.

Leaving Archer there with the door and his confusion. Considering his sister's reaction, he was seriously wondering if he even wanted to know who was standing there. Part of him wondered if it was Adrian, here to pummel him for the 'Dracula Jr' comment. Curiosity would get the better of his hesitation, though. Long strides made for a short journey, and once he looked through the peephole? Then he understood Caddy's reaction. Even though Archer was piss poor with dealing with personal stuff and always had been, he wasn't the type to pretend he wasn't home. Door opened, there he stood face to face with

"Angel," he stated the obvious. As if both of them didn't know who she was already. A couple nods which were stalls for time and he let go of the door so he could slide both his hands into the pockets of his pants. Wearing a three-piece suit as always. This one blue. "You, ah - this is a surprise," if she could tell already from the look on his face. He said it because other words were failing him.

He'd just put his hands into his pockets a second ago and now he was already pulling them out. Hand back on the door as he stepped back from it, his other hand gesturing inside. "Did you want to come in? My sister's here, doing some hocus-pocus." Quick to add that because he wanted Angel to know someone else was here. Thinking that it would maybe affect how they both handled whatever talk they were about to have. Presuming she was here to talk.
Archer Caughey
Archer Caughey

Back to top Go down

Post by AngelRayne Sun Oct 18, 2009 4:36 pm

Waiting was the part that sucked, specially after how their last meeting went. The thoughts that ran across Angel's mind varied from 'he's just not home' to 'he's there but not going to answer.' And that's when the door opened. Angel gave him that Angel smile, her true smiles that reached light blues. " 'Ello Archer. " She nodded slowly at his first comment. " Aye, I know I'm probably the last person you want to see at the moment. I had come to just drop of this letter I wrote ... but standing here I figured might as well say it instead of making you read it." Another little nod of her head. Hand that didn't hold the envelope reaching up to push strands of dark purple and blond hair behind her ear ans then quickly fell to the fiddle with the ring around her neck. She was nervous, and trying hard not to show it.

"I'd love to come in." Well things where going well so far, he hadn't slammed the door in her face or told her to get lost yet. Booted feet took her inside and away from the door, light blues looking around for a moment before looking back to him. "Oh Arc's here? I haven't seen her in awhile." That was followed by a " 'Ello Arc! " She had to say hi to her at least, she wasn't rude or anything. " Samhain is soon so it's no surprise she's working magic ... but here? " She rose a brow and gave Archer a questioning look, a hint of worry hiding in those light blues. Not the reason she was here, but she did care about both of them, so she was only being her ' mother hen' self.
AngelRayne
AngelRayne

Back to top Go down

Post by Archer Caughey Mon Oct 19, 2009 12:43 am

Letter. His grey gaze dropped. Sure enough, there was a letter in her hands. He didn't know how he felt about that. Letters were...well, when was a letter good news unless you had a pen pal? He also caught her fiddling with the ring, before his put his eyes elsewhere. Free hand rubbed the back of his hair fidget style as he shut the door behind her after she came in. "Alright... Make yourself comfortable?" He nodded to the front room, before slipping in there in front of her to move the two boxes of glass globes Arcadia had left behind on the sofa. There. Now there was somewhere for her to sit.

"Want a drink?" He sure did. The fact Angel was here, he had a good idea of why considering the last time they'd seen each other. Between that and the letter she was carrying...he knew this wasn't going to just be shooting the shit. That's why he was uncorking a bottle of scotch after he put the two boxes down on his desk. He always had two glasses set to each bottle of scotch, so if she wanted one it would be an easy order to fill.

As Archer poured, Angel would hear the distant sound of Arcadia returning her greeting, but nothing more than that. She was up to her eyes in hocus pocus, after all. "Yeap, yeap. Hallows is coming, kind of a big deal this year." Truthful answer, but he didn't get more detailed than that. He hadn't wanted to talk details when it came up with Caddy, he sure wasn't about to reopen the topic with Angel. His sister said it was just a precaution so he was going to take that theory and run with it.

"So a letter, huh?" After he asked that he took a gulp from his glass big enough that he might as well just refill it again.
Archer Caughey
Archer Caughey

Back to top Go down

Post by AngelRayne Tue Oct 27, 2009 4:56 pm

( I didn't forget about ya I swear! Stupid life being all mean to me >.> )

Once the couch was clear of the two boxes booted feet took her to it and she sat down. She let herself sit back, right leg crossing over her left and right foot starting to kick lightly, letter quickly tucked away into her little dementional pocket. She was trying to relax or at least attempt to relax the air around them with out uttering a magic word. Angel could tell Archer was nervous, she'd known him to long to not know. "I'll take a scotch please Archer." Said with a nod and a light smile on her face.

Light blues watched him while he poured the drink, trying to figure out what he was thinking just by reading his body language. She wasn't ever really good at that, so why she was trying is anybody's guess. "Hallows is a big deal this time? What could .... oh no!" Those light blues went wide as she put it all together in her mind. It was something she had read a long time ago, back when she was studying with her mother. Right hand flying up to cover her now wide open mouth. The scents she had caught a whiff of as she stepped into the lab, the glass globes, Archer had been dead for a very long time, Hallows just around the corner. Once Angel could speak again and her mouth would close properly, right hand went down to her lap and light blues weren't as wide anymore. " Things will be fine ... Arc knows what she's doing." And for once Angel left it at that. She was worried, yes, but if he wanted to talk about it he could on his terms.

"Archer relax a little bit eh? I'm not here to start a fight, I'm not here to cry and beg ya to take me back, though that would be an interesting twist." Little bit of a giggle then, just to show she was kidding. And gods she hoped he took it like that because then she'd feel like an idiot. " I'm past all that. Yes, a letter. I wrote it when I got back from my little soul searching adventure. It's nothing bad, I swear. It's just I felt and still feel like a total tool for the way I acted towards you that day in the inn. You didn't deserve it ... regardless of how our relationship ended or what my feelings are. We have always been good friends, at least in my eyes, and I don't wanna lose that just because I tend to where my heart on my sleeve or because the Brujah in me just happens to decide it wants to come out and play. " She paused for a moment, light blues watching him while she spoke. Looking for any kind of reaction from him, good or bad. "Archer, I'm always gonna love you and care about you and I'm truely happy for you. I'm sorry I acted the way I did at the inn. I hope you can forgive me and that we can still be close if not as close as we where before."

Out of habit Angel wanted to look away, she wasn't very good with confrontation, never really was, but she wanted Archer to know that she was being serious so those light blues of hers would stay focused on him. She hadn't really meant to throw all that out on the table like that, but sometimes its easier to just say everything at once. She was slowly learning that one.
AngelRayne
AngelRayne

Back to top Go down

Post by Archer Caughey Wed Oct 28, 2009 8:53 pm

He'd just started pouring when he looked right back up at her. "This time?" He looked surprised to echo that. Is that what he'd said? Instead of, "this time of year"? God Damnit. Idiot Freudian slip which probably betrayed Arcadia's precautions had spooked him enough to believe this Hallows might turn into a "this time" situation. Archer shook his head as he dropped his eyes, pouring Angel a glass and refilling his own. "What I meant was this time of year. As in, the usual hocus pocus." Yeah, usual. Sure. "Arcadia's been trying to hound me into magic-making so she jumps on any chance to shove it in my face."

Archer crossed over to her, holding out the glass. When she took it, he went to sit on the other couch, the smaller of the two. He had to push aside a book and a stack of pencil sketches first, and then he reclined back and tried to [unsuccessfully] look relaxed. "Hah," was his single blurt of a laugh when she made the begging him back joke. Trying to share in the humor. He ended up taking a drink instead. Big one. He was terrible at this stuff, emotional stuff. Give him a calculus problem every day.

"Maybe that side wouldn't control you if you actually acknowledged it." He hadn't meant to say that. His mouth wasn't supposed to open then. But half his big brain was still on the 'just in case' ritual Caddy was doing and working out possible outcomes some of which freaked him out. Definitely made him preoccupied. And crabby don't forget that. Between those two things pop words came right out. Him telling her about her business.

He put his free hand over his face, palm rubbing his forehead eyes and cheeks. Be nice to have a do over right about now. "Look, ignore that. Maybe...can I have the letter?" Archer leaned forward, holding out his free hand to her. He was thinking this might go better if he shut his mouth and just read what she wrote. After a beat he added, "I'm sorry for what I said right now." Even if he thought it was true. There was no point in him making the mistake she had at the Inn and tossing argumentative words all over the place.

Especially when his sister was here.
Archer Caughey
Archer Caughey

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum